Thursday, May 21, 2009

19" Goocars... 19x7.5 +40?

Well today I went to a few wheel shops to get an idea of what 19" wheels will be like. "Someone must have some?" After an afternoon of not much success. Late in the day, I found these Work Goocars in Up Garage. Shops in Japan are open until 9 or 10pm so these were fittet as the sun set.
Goocars kind of have that Watanabe style to them but with a chrome 5 spoke they loose all JDM intentions. However, inital impressions were OMG! AWESOME! AMAZING! The guys in the shop are all "Kakko ii!" (cool as), but as you stand back and think about it in detail the reality is far from ideal.

Tyre size was 215/35/19 exactly as I desired, so it was good to see how big they were. And they were, but turn radius was OK!
This was good to find out. The Nankang NSII tyres were still sitting high on 7.5Inch rims so stretching them over a wider rim would also be beneficial and help the "look" of the car.
The extra height was not really an issue although it did look a bit SUV like. To have the desired low down drop on the guts stance, I would have to drop the car to its limit. I only have about -15mm left on my Ohlins. It may not be enough.

Fitment wise 19x7.5 +40 is spot on. For anyone with 7.5Inch wheels I'd recommend +40 for perfect fit. The rear fenders would need trimming no matter what wheel, But you could potentially drive these with little scrape as it is. Jumping on the door rail showed a hint of touch.
I photoshopped the above pic to show how it would look with the ohlins further down.
I actually considered these wheels a year ago before I bought the car. It was one of the concepts of how I wanted the car to look, when I was looking to buy.

So the result of Today's little test has me pretty firm in the 18" market... or maybe... the 19" concept will come to fruition. I am also thinking to stick to the JDM tuning look for the car. Even with hints of chrome on the car, they are that, just hints, so being would accent rather than dominate any choice I make.
I also spent time in Super Autobacs and Fuji wheel corporation looking at all the Weds choices in 19" and this dumper kei car in the parking lot.
But the SSR Type F in matt black still stood out and caught my eye.
Thats available in 19" you know.... arrrrrgggggghhhh. I hate Choice.
Russ.

4 comments:

  1. Looks decent Russ, but a tad flashy?

    With the canards and eyelids you have it looks more sporty and might look better with a more race inspired wheel

    you ever think about the concave face 18x9.5 +22 TE37 or the concave 17x9 +22? I think those would look amazing

    maybe even a 17/18 stagger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, too Flashy.

    I really just wanted to get an idea of the massive size more than anything.

    Of course I have thought of TE37.
    And your right that they only look good in deep taper.

    But
    my limit with 8 is about +45
    my "~limit" with 8.5 is +50
    my "~limit" with 9 is rear only +50
    +22 will never fit. We are not talking Z or GT-R here.

    The NC is set up for +45~+50

    If you have ever seen the burnout NC then it's 9J+43 and 225 are just insanely big. There were evidently a "lot of mods" to get them under.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hrm...Those sizes seem really really conservative

    http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda-talk/images/MX5ChrisD.jpg

    thats 18x9.5 +45 285/30/18

    and another with same wheel size

    http://www.bauerspeedracing.com/P9090203.JPG

    18x9 + 22 will be only 17mm wider than those pictured...but with a smaller tire and some camber it will work and look damn good doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive seen those cars.
    Those cars definately have the high ride height boat image,

    I want to keep the rims inside the body line and lower the car a lot.

    Mine is a street car so legality is an issue.

    I tried a photoshop and it didn't work.

    You'd need the Goodwin flares.

    Someone else will do it.

    ReplyDelete

Enter a comment here.

OR

If you want to Email me directly, Email:Email GT-Roadster.

OR

I am always looking for content, so if you feel like contributing, Then please send me some info about any NC roadster event. E-mail GT-Roadtser Event Information.
OR
If you want me to feature your NC in a link, send me some pictures and a short story and I'll link you up in the owners section. Email a GT-Roadster Feature.